ORGANISM CLASSIFICATION NOTES:
- Essential Question:
= How do scientists classify organisms?
|1.) What is an organism?
||An organism is a living thing.
|2.) What are the characteristics of organisms?
||All organisms are made of cells, reproduce, use
energy, respond to surroundings, contain specific
chemicals and grow & develop.
|3.) What are organisms made of?||
Organisms are made out of cells.
Unicellular = made of only 1 cell.
Multicellular = made of 2 or more cells. (Many cells)
Prokaryote = A cell without a nucleus. (No nucleus)
Eukaryote = A cell with a nucleus. (Has a nucleus)
|4.) Do organisms respond to their surroundings?||
= Organisms respond to their stimuli in their surroundings.
- Stimulus = Anything that causes a reaction or change in an organism.
- Response = the reaction of an organism to change in its environment.
|5.) How do organisms reproduce?||
= Organisms can either reproduce sexually or asexually.
- Sexual Reproduction = A sperm & egg cell unite to produce offspring similar to both parents. (2 Parents)
- Asexual Reproduction = An organism splits itself in half or grows a bud which later separates itself. Offspring is identical to parent. (Only 1 Parent)
|6.) What chemicals are found in all organisms?||
- Water = (H2O) required for all chemical reactions.
- Lipids = Fats & Oils
- Adenosine triphosphate = (ATP) Usable Energy
- Nucleic Acids = Carry direction for how to
mkae protiens. (Ex: DNA)
- Proteins = Building Blocks of cells & cell parts.
- Carbohydrates = Provide & store energy.
|7.) How do organisms use energy?|| All organisms use energy.
Autotrophs = Use photosynthesis.
(Capture the sun's light energy to make food inside
Heterotrophs = Don't use photosynthesis.
(Go get food & eat or absorb it.)
|8.) How do organisms develop & grow?||
Development = Organism's Life
|9.) What is classification?
Classification is the process of grouping things
| 10.) What is taxonomy?
Taxonomy is the scientific study of how living
|11.) What is an organism's Common Name?
||What people call an organism within a given
|12.) What is an organism's Scientific Name?
||What most scientists call an organism, regardless
their own language. (Based on Latin.)
|13.) What is Binomial Nomenclature?
||Two-part naming system used to determine the
Scientific Name of Organisms.
1st Name = Genus Last Name = Species
|14.) What is meant by Genus?
||Genus is a classification grouping that contains
2nd smallest level of classification.
Determines the 1st Name of Organism's
|15.) What is meant by Species?
||A Species is a classification grouping that contains
similar organisms that can mate & produce fertile
The smallest level of classification.
Determines the Last Name of Organism's Scientific
* Once students have completed their notes, they need to go back through the notes & underline key words.